Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vacation 2011

Ok, here I am apologizing AGAIN for being overdue with the blog! I do have an honest excuse!! I have been running around ragged for the past few weeks. SOO much to do.

Where do I start? Ok, 2 weeks ago (s that not hard to believe!), we packed up & headed for Custer, SD. We drove straight thru (except stopping for gas (TWICE! Thank you wind) and to eat). We made it to Rapid City where we stopped to buy groceries. We made it to our home away from home around 3:00. We took awhile & just looked around our rental house. I'd found this 3 bed/2 bath newer house that would rent to us. It was PERFECT! It was amazing. Hot tub outside, full kitchen, 50" tv in the living room with Netflix movies...everything we needed. Especially since the high temp while we were there was about 65 - 1 day!

The first morning, I woke up early & looked outside.  I saw a group of about 3 deer grazing not far from the house. Of course, they were scavenging thru the SNOW looking for food! It is generally so much warmer out there, but this time, not so much! It pretty much snowed/rained or sleeted while we were there, but it was actually pretty cool sitting in the hot tub while snow hits your face!

My pictures are a little out of order, but I couldn't move them around?!



This week was more running for poor old mom. Dance week! Monday night, we had our last normal rehearsal night. Tuesday, Eric left for Deadwood for work. His mom came to stay with us, saving me from even more stress!! Tuesday night, Emma & I had a meeting at the middle school where she will go next year!! YIKES. I hope she doesn't get lost in there! There will be 5-6 elementary schools that pool into this school, so she will get used to bigger classes & new people next year! Thursday, Emma had dress rehearsal and her 5th grade-end of the year party. I took the afternoon off & went to the party with her. We had to leave at 4 due to her dance rehearsal, but it was fun!  They had a cruise ship theme. I helped with the limbo, while other mom's manned the frozen turkey bowling station, the karaoke station & things like that.

We took off for rehearsal & didn't get done until 6:30! and that was us leaving at intermission! Thank goodness Carolyn was here with Harper. Eric did get back around 8:)

Friday, we had to be there at 5:45 for the performance. Harper went to GGMA's but Eric left to get her at intermission. We didn't get home until right after 10:00!! Oh, it was a long performance! It was nice, but Em only danced about 2 minutes of that time! Poor Bethany had a hard time watching, as she's done with her high school dance career. One song, in particular, she had a hard time & put her little head on my shoulder:(  It's hard to grow up, sometimes!

Yesterday, Bethany & I finished up on her graduation open house shopping..we bought all the food & decorations.. then, last night, Em danced again. I did make up for the girls & I took off. She went home with her dad, but she texted me at 10:35 last night, so it was another late night!


Back to our trip...On our way home from the Black Hills, we stopped that Monday thru the Badlands. I'd been thru there once before, but forgot how magnifciant they are. It does get long driving thru the 20 mile loop, but it's amazing the beauty in South Dakota! Both girls fell asleep, so Eric & I kept whispering to each other! 

Behind our rental house in Custer, there were some cool rocks that Em & I tried out the camera on. I was a little terrified when I saw these turn out. They are a little too "Senior picture" looking for my taste!

After we went to Mt Rushmore, we stopped in Keystone at this place that took old fashioned, black & white photos. I thought this would be fun as a family, and I was right! This little old man with no teeth & his 93 year old mother ran this little place! All of the props & backdrops were outside, but the weather turned out for this moment of our trip!


I want to get a big canvas picture of this one to hang above our fireplace!

This was Sunday of our trip. Saturday, we stayed inside because it was so cold & yucky:( We did end up driving around Custer State Park & drove up to Crazy Horse Monument, but did not get out of the car. Sunday it was still pretty cool outside, but we made it work!

After Mt Rushmore & the pictures, we made our way to Bear Country, USA. For me, this was my favorite stop. There were SO many types of animals there, and they were just walking around. You're not allowed to get out of your car, but they were just...there!

This guy just walked in front of our car, like "no big deal"

After the driving tour, there was a little "non petting zoo" area. There were all of these adorable baby bears & other pets that were in caged areas, but they were so darn cute! 
 

Here was Harper at Mt Rushmore..Yes, winter coat! Mother nature didn't read the memo about being May!

Well, this week is another busy one, but not as busy as the last 2! My beautiful baby sister graduates from high school next Sunday. I can NOT believe it. I'm so proud of her & am SUPER excited she will be close next year. Hard to believe 19 years ago it was ME getting ready to graduate! UGH...almost 20 years. I think I just threw up a little!

Well, time to get ready for bed:) HA..
Have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment